Sunday, September 21, 2008

Getting More Juice

This was the weekend the winery was selling their Rose juice. Friday Josh, Gideon, Caleb and Aunt Becky drove up north to pick up the juice. I had to miss out on the fun this weekend as I worked Friday afternoon. I sent the camera along with Josh to take pictures this time. They had an hour long wait to get the juice so there was plenty of time to remember to take pictures.


Here's the line of cars and trucks waiting to get the juice.


As you wait for the juice, you can sample it. Caleb and Aunt Becky are enjoying their samples. Last weekend the juice was red and Caleb and Eliyana got big red mustaches from their tastes!


Here they are filling our containers with hoses.



Here are our barrels of juice in the stand Josh built. The top is the Rose juice and the bottom is the Red juice. It will take about 40 days to finish fermenting. During the fermentation time, the containers can't be sealed because the juice gives off gas. Once the fermentation is complete, we close the containers to seal out the air which can turn the wine to vinegar. We like to bottle the wine soon after it is complete, but it can stay good in the containers as long as we keep the air out and it doesn't get too hot. The containers have spigots to easily remove the wine and the sediment stays on the bottom of the barrels. It is a very easy, natural process to make wine.

1 comment:

Nancy Yoder said...

It looks like your wine making is less work for you than my grape juice and grape jelly that I make. I still say I prefer the grape juice. I guess you will be looking forward to your parents visit. I had my second cataract removed on Thursday. Can you imagine seeing me without glasses? I only need reading glasses. I am so happy about that.