Saturday, September 13, 2008

Gideon Helping Matthew Unpack and Getting our Wine Juice


Today Matthew unpacked more of his boxes which had been in storage during the summer to get more settled in his room. Gideon loved to visit with Matthew while he was working in his room. Here's a picture of Gideon "helping" Matthew unpack his box. Matthew is very good with the children. It's fun to hear stories of his own children and also of their antics. Children are the same no matter where in the world they were born!

This morning Eliyana, Caleb and I went about an hour north to get our grape juice to make our wine with Becky and John Walters (John is my dad's cousin and Becky is his aunt). Becky and Jimmy have been making their own wine for years and a few years ago we decided to give it a try. It's a very simple process to make wine. The juice naturally ferments. When it is finished after about 40 days, we seal up the barrels until we are ready to bottle it. I brought my camera along to take pictures of the winery where we get our juice and also how they fill our barrels, but I forgot to take a picture. Josh will head up next week to get a Rose juice. This week they had a Red juice. Maybe I can convince him to try to take some pictures!

2 comments:

Katy said...

Ricky had thought maybe he would want to try making wine since we have a grape vine, but then decided not to. We never did it before either but maybe I should look into it again. His g-pa makes wine every year and is 82, maybe he could show us how.

Anonymous said...

Yes little ones are the same the world over. That's good to know.
We used to have a grape vine and made grape juice and let Grandma have some grapes too, but for some reason we tore it down. Now I'm wishing we had it again. Good to hear from you.